… Hanigan’s reaction …
Image from http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2012-nlds-giants-vs-reds/2012/10/11/3492338/giants-advance-to-the-nlcs-assorted-thoughts-and-gifs
I have a really old Nexus 7 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7_%282012_version%29) and upgrading that to Lollipop basically made it unusable. It was terribly slow.
I unlocked the bootloader and reflashed with 4.4.4 (https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-ktu84p-factory-2c6e4d6f.tgz) and that was much better.
But that’s really no fun so I decided to give CyanogenMode a shot (http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=grouper&type=). It was a bit overwhelming at first to work out that:
I finally settled on this http://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/90453/cm-11-20141112-SNAPSHOT-M12-grouper.zip but that’s no fun either so I built it from scratch. https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_grouper
Everything is all documented and there are even steps to make sure the GMS apps are installed so the resultant build is very much usable.
That was fun.
I showed the app to a coworker of mine and he promptly crashed it. There were some issues with lingering unresolved network addresses when the start and stop buttons were repeatedly pressed in rapid succession.
So that has been fixed and I’ve also added the ability remember the last 4 IP addresses used.
Published a new version of SPP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaytat.simpleprotocolplayer
This version adds audio ducking so that the streaming continues even if there some phone notification, like a text message.
I have posted a simple protocol server for Windows on GitHub: https://github.com/kaytat/SimpleProtocolServer
There is more technical info in the README of that project.
The server will probably require a little configuration from the user. The reason is the WSAPI loopback used for capture does not allow for programmatically changing the sampling rate. Since the SPP player requires a certain format, the user will have to set the properties of the playback device to match.
Here are the steps to do so for a Win7 machine. First open up the “Playback devices” from the system tray.
Choose the “Properties” button of the sound card being used:
Choose the format the best fits SPP. SPP defaults to 16bit 44.1kHz, but it will also support 16bit 48kHz.
A corresponding update to SPP has been posted on the Play Store that adds an option to choose either 44.1kHz or 48kHz for the sampling rate.
I had the auto-update for raspbmc turned off so I decided to update. The UI performs much better with this version. I did have some more remote issues. The “back” button and “i/more” button on the remote didn’t work anymore.
The fix was to update the XML files related to the remote.
<lircmap> <remote device="devinput"> <back>KEY_ESC</back> <info>KEY_COMPOSE</info> <star>KEY_SUBTITLE</star> <play>KEY_PLAYPAUSE</play> </remote> </lircmap>
And then .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml
<keymap> <global> <remote> <star>contextmenu</star> </remote> </global> </keymap>
I like the idea of virtual desktops and it’s a nice tool, but what I really wanted to do was to start a completely separate X session on my Ubuntu box. A bit of googling suggested that I create a separate user account (so that the two X sessions don’t conflict with eachother) and that I run the X session on a different terminal from where the X session was launched.
So I did that. I created a test account, hit CONTROL-ALT-F4 to get to the terminal, logged in with my newly created account, and ran this command to start the new X session:
startx /usr/bin/gnome-session -- :1 vt5
And that seemed to go fine but all that gave me was this blank Ubuntu screen on terminal 5:
So close, yet so far. After playing around, I found that to start the whole Unity experience, I needed to enable the Unity plugin in compiz. So, I hit CONTROL-ALT-T to bring up a terminal:
And from the command prompt ran:
Nice. The gnome session fallback is easier to setup since that doesn’t use compiz and the whole UI starts immediately:
startx /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback -- :1 vt5
I guess that makes sense since repo is meant to be used in the context of Android.
But I kinda like the fact that repo can manage multiple git repos so I hacked the code to make it BARELY run on Windows.
Check it out: https://github.com/kaytat